19/02/2009

Personal Statement, needs proofreading... :D

In the preface for Interviews with History, Oriana Fallaci says she would have loved for Jesus to have been recorded talking, or Napoleon to be filmed discussing his strategies, she talks about how she distrusts history as it can't always be proven. On the other hand she loves journalism because it is a mean to record and discuss our world as it learns, progresses, fights, makes peace, and entertains itself. I first read Interviews with History I was 14, and it immediately inspired a career in journalism, to have the chance to experience the world first hand, to transfer knowledge (the basis of all progress) through the most powerful and efficient tool, to question the decision-makers of our world. Journalism connects us with the world surrounding us, and it shows us the bigger picture, it is also an industry that will always have an essential place in our society as it allows us to develop informed opinions. I have a passion for journalism because it encompasses nearly all of human experience. Journalism includes all aspects of society, from health to finance, technology to current affairs, entertainment to science; it's an industry which will allow me to branch out in any direction. The areas I'm most interested in are current affairs, both local and international, politics, science, technology, and entertainment (specifically literature, theatre, and cinema). I believe in freedom of the press as it is central for a democratic society, especially as between 2004 and 2006 freedomhouse's freedom of press survey had classified Italy (my home nation) as partially free due to Berlusconi's monopoly, and unfortunately, in my opinion, Italian journalists are still too influenced by the government.
During my senior high school year as an extra-curricular activity I was an active member of the yearbook team as both layout editor and fund-raiser. It was an experience which taught me how to work under pressure and fine-tuned my organisational skills. That same year I also started and wrote for a fanzine (TicAlt); reviewing and interviewing young local rock musicians and alternative artists and discussing their place in Swiss society.
When I decided to attend university in Scotland my English was quite basic, so I opted for a combined Psychology and Sociology degree as they are both analytical fields covering various topics and skills. Sociology has taught me to see things from a different perspective and to analyse society's trends and subdivisions, as well as helping me to understand the various effects of news on the population whether locally or globally. Psychology gave me the basis to help me understand motivations behind singular acts, as well as data research and analysis skills. Once I completed my degree I found work in a call centre, where I developed my team work and communication skills. My English has also improved significantly since I started working on the phones, as it was previously limited to academic jargon and lacked in colloquialism.
I have the invaluable advantage of having lived in different nations and having learned, and continue to learn, from a number of different cultures. I have stereotypically Swiss organisational skills tied with Italian persistence and passion and Scottish approachability, as well being able to adapt easily to different environments.
I aim to become an accomplished journalist to satisfy readers interests and help them to make informed opinions. Being a journalist will also allow me to satisfy my own curiosity and thirst for continuous learning, to discover the world as it develops and to pass on my knowledge and discoveries to a wide audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment